Monday 25 February 2013

Sam’s Story

I’ve been a Christian for as long as I can remember and there are so many examples of God’s work in my life that I could share. For now I’d just like to share the part of my story called the ‘6th form years’. This one’s for any 16 - 18’s out there!

Sam

The media constantly tell us that if only we had this or that, we’d feel content. For me, as I moved to a new area and a new school at the age of 16, I had this lie floating around in my heart. I’d never consciously thought, “I don’t want to follow Jesus anymore,” but the idea that I’d have a better life if I lived it my way had slowly crept up on me. I thought I’d be content if I was accepted by the popular kids and drank a lot and got myself a girlfriend. The trouble was, all the time it was as though I was pushing against something. I wasn’t feeling content; just frustrated. Life wasn’t flowing the way it had in the past and I wasn’t happy.

But looking back, I can see how God took me down that road to show me that contentment wasn’t found by living life the way I thought best. Just as I was learning this, he provided me with friends who I could be myself around and someone who invited me along to a youth Bible study. My auntie bought me a book about God that helped me remember his love for me and I got Confirmed at church; recommitting my life to the Jesus who loved me so much he died in my place to set me free. Frustration at chasing for acceptance amongst people made way to a wonderful peace and contentment in God’s unconditional love.

A friend then invited me to a Christian youth camp which spurred me on to live for Jesus. I then went off to University and the next exciting chapter in the adventure!

What’s your faith story?

stories@camberleyconnections.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment